Welcome to the Captain's Galley
Here we will have lots of fun in the cooking and
then the eating and that I enjoy the best.
1 1/2 lb beef livers (or pork livers)
1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 lb pork fat
1 1/2 lb pork, boneless
1 lg onion, chopped
1 T butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 T basil, Dried
1 T thyme, Dried
1 T salt
1 1/2 t black pepper
1 T white flour
1/3 c brandy
3 sl barding fat
3 bay leaves
1. Grind liver, add cream, and let stand for 1 hour.
Grind pork fat with pork.
2. In a frying pan, sauté onion in butter for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, parsley, basil, and thyme.
Remove from heat.
3. Heat oven to 350F.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine liver mixture, pork, herb mixture,
eggs, salt, pepper, flour, and brandy.
Fry a patty and adjust seasoning.
5. Put barding fat in the bottom of a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
Pour in meat mixture.
Put bay leaves on top.
Seal tightly with foil, put loaf pan in a larger pan, and add water to
come halfway up the terrine.
6. Bring to a simmer and then put into oven and bake until a skewer
inserted into the center for 1/2 minute is very hot when withdrawn, 1˝
to 1 3/4 hours.
7. Cool 1 hour; weight down evenly.
Serve at room temperature.